John Clifford Promises
At John Clifford School, we all promise to:
Our vision and values are at the core of everything we do.
They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils as confident, happy citizens.
Our mantra is 'Be your best, celebrate success. Together we will be successful'.
Ethos and Values
At John Clifford School, our ethos is based upon the aspiration to Be your best and Celebrate Success as we know that Together we will be Successful.
This is manifested in the following Values shared by Our School and Local Community to:
- work together to maintain a happy, caring and cohesive environment;
- value and listen to each other, treating ourselves, each other and our work with respect;
- be encouraged to seek opportunities and embrace challenge in a safe and supportive space; and
- make responsible choices for ourselves and others and promote high standards of conduct and achievement at all times.
Our commitment to the John Clifford Promises means that we promise to:
- Be kind and caring
- Take care of myself and others
- Make everyone welcome
- Be positive and proud
- Take care of my community and my world
- Take care of my work
We are a proud community, where children and staff are free to positively express themselves. We work hard together to make everyone welcome into our community and together we strive to take care of ourselves and each other. We work hard and play hard, taking care with everything that we do and together, we know that we will be successful.
Our Aims for our School and Local Community are that we are able to:
- Be the best people that we can be in this shared and diverse world;
- Be the most creative and open minded learners with a thirst for lifelong learning; and
- Be aspirational in all that we do and to go beyond what is expected.
A John Clifford School learner will be encouraged to:
We achieve our Aims by:
- Ensuring that, at the heart of our work is the personal development of all learners;
- Promoting an inclusive, creative, challenging and meaningful curriculum;
- Providing a broad range of opportunities and experiences both inside and outside of the classroom;
- Working in partnership with parents and carers to understand and provide support activity for our families and our local community; and
- Constantly challenging ourselves to ensure that our learners’ needs are met and that the aims are relevant and fit for purpose.
We are committed to the the Equality Act (2010) and to promoting the fundamental British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs (2011).
At John Clifford School, these values are reinforced regularly and in the following ways:
Democracy is embedded at our school. Children are always listened to by adults and are taught to listen carefully and with concern to each other, respecting the right of every individual to have their opinions and voices heard. Children also have the opportunity to air their opinions and ideas through our Junior Leadership Team and open and safe relationships with all adults in school. The elections of the Junior Leadership Team members and Hive Captains are based solely on child votes, reflecting our British electoral system and demonstrating democracy in action.
The Rule of Law
The importance of laws, whether they are those that govern the class, the school or the country, are consistently reinforced. The John Clifford Promises are deeply embedded in our work every day. Each class discusses and sets its own rules that are clearly understood by all and seen to be necessary to ensure that every class member is able to learn in a safe and orderly environment. Our children are taught the value and reasons behind laws, that they govern and protect us, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when laws are broken. Visits from authorities such as the Police and Fire Service help to reinforce this message.
Within school, children are actively encouraged to make choices, knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment. As a school, we educate and provide boundaries for our pupils to make choices safely, through the provision of a safe environment and an empowering education. Our children are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms and are advised how to exercise these safely; examples of this can be clearly seen in our E-safety and P.S.H.E. and S.R.E. lessons. Whether it is through choice of challenge; of how they record; of participation in our numerous extra- curricular activities; our children are given the freedom to make choices.
Respect is one of the core values of our school. The children know and understand that it is expected and imperative that respect is shown to everyone, whatever differences we may have, however big or small. The core values of the John Clifford Promises underpins our work every day, both in and out of the classroom. We pride ourselves on the inclusion of all children in all activity in school.
Tolerance of those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
The John Clifford School community is culturally diverse, embracing and celebrating different faiths and beliefs. Assemblies are planned to directly or through the inclusion of stories and celebrations from a variety of faiths and cultures, celebrate this diversity. Our school curriculum and R.E. and P.S.H.E. teaching reinforce this. Members of different faiths or religions, with the support of our school Faith Council, are encouraged to share their knowledge to enhance learning within classes and the school. Children visit places of worship that are important to different faiths.
At John Clifford we will actively challenge pupils, staff or parents expressing opinions contrary to fundamental British Values, including ‘extremist’ views.
Nottinghamshire Safeguarding Children Partnership (NSCP)